Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Tinkham Campground/TrailsFest
07/21/06-07/23/06

I’ve finally learned to reserve campsites in advance on the internet. It kind of takes away from the excitement of finding a campsite, but makes it easier to plan. Since I was planning for a group, I gave in and reserved a site on the internet.

This trip wasn’t meant to be a “get back to the wild” trip since Tinkham was so close to I-90, but I wanted to go to TrailsFest and used that as a good excuse to invite some neophyte campers. Also, so many of my friends are Seattlites who don’t like to drive far.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

South Fork Snoqualmie River from Tinkham Campground

I got off work at 3:00. The temperature was in the mid-nineties. Jes had just found out she had to work later than expected, so I planned on taking a power nap before heading out. She actually got home a couple minutes after I did and started packing, but didn’t seem too happy about leaving. I asked if she wanted to stay, but she said “It’ll be fun.” We finally left after 6:00 and drove the short 45 minutes to the Tinkham Campground off I-90 at Exit 42.

The first thing I noticed upon arrival was the loud freeway noise. I-90, though not visible unless you are looking for it through the trees, clearly made its presence known. One of the things I remember from the camping trip to Denny Creek a few of us took as an alternative to the snooty high school cruise was the loud compression brakes of the semi trucks descending Snoqualmie Pass.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Ladene chopping wood while wearing sandals

The campsite was set up, but vacant of people. From the map of the campground, I knew the river was just past the campsite, so we followed a little trail, lined with used toilet paper, to the rocky riverbank. This was the first time I’d had the chance to try out my new Keen sandals. They worked perfectly on the ankle-twisting jumble of river rocks.

Morgan and Ladene were sitting on the beach drinking wine out of plastic-frat-beer cups right next to an aged specimen of dog poo. We scoped out the area, then went back to the campsite to fetch some beers. Jes had to move Morgan’s tent, since he’d pitched it smack dab in the middle of the level area, and pitched our the tent while Morgan, Ladene, and I went to Exit 34 (Ken’s Truck Stop) to get more beer, wine, smores stuff, wood, etc. When we got back, we all ate hot dogs and steaks and washed that meat down with cheap beer and wine. Morgan showed his prowess at fire building and we sat far enough away to avoid the additional heat. Ladene left without eating any smores or drinking the wine she insisted on and drove home.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Damn she's tough!

An argument broke out about dogs camping. Mean things were said. I took off. I came back. We all went to bed and filled our sleeping bags with sweat. Enough of that.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

TrailsFest 2006

The morning arrived and the skies were overcast. I tried out the outhouse, made coffee, and waited to go to TrailsFest. 10:00 was when the events I was interested began. 10:00 rolled around. Danielle G1 was on her way and we were waiting for her to show up and for Morgan to wake up. I tried waking him up, but wish that I hadn’t. He sleeps “commando” style. Feeling the effects of the beer the night before, Morgan wanted to stop for breakfast somewhere, but we finally hit the road.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Morgan punching the notes from his Monster Ballads CD in the 'stang.

A long line of cars lined the road to Rattlesnake Lake. Our only hiking for the day was in the middle of the road until a representative from Flexcar stopped to pick us up.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Jes at TrailsFest. You can't see the heat.

The first order of business was to eat. I shoved the best barbecue sandwich I’ve ever eaten into my mouth. We went booth to booth, checking out MSR stoves, Therm-a-Rests, socks, boots, and packs. The folks at the Backpacker Magazine were traveling to forty states, camping and living out of their car. What a life, huh? The Audubon society displayed dead birds and we were picked our favorites. Mine was the crow, mostly because of a book I’d just read called “In the Company of Ravens and Crows.” The girl working their exclaimed “My dad wrote that!” I felt embarrassed for some reason.

The heat was too much to bear, so we took off to cool off in the river at camp and saw a fat woman fall in the river, her smokes floating away.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Danielle G2 keeping the dog away from the dog

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Danielle G1 ready to order some new camping supplies

Back at the campsite, conversation flowed, as did the beer. We had to make another trip to the store. Dinner consisted of hot dogs, spaghetti, and beans. Danielle G1 locked her keys in her truck, got her cell phone, and realized that Danielle G2 was on her way but lost. I gave her directions and she said she’d stopped at every exit east of North Bend and had been driving for almost two hours! When she and her dog arrived, the campfire was started. Ladene made the trip after work again. The smores supplies were finally put to use. Then she went home.

I walked the ladies to the outhouse and loaned them my headlamp. Jes admitted that it was useful, after making fun of it for so long! Yes!


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

"You're right, Ted."

Both Danielles shared a tent with the dog, and we all slept through another hot night.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Morgan packing up

Upon waking, Morgan packed up and headed home. He’s getting quite good at setting up and breaking camp, and took off pretty quick. The remainder of us took a dip in the South Fork Snoqualmie River. It was pretty damn cold, but I tried anyway. Jes was playing like a kid – splashing, dunking, and swimming.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Who's tougher now?

We put the fire out, cleaned up the campsite better than we left it and drove to XXX in Issaquah. The burger was paper thin and more food than I needed. So passes another camping trip. Not one of the best, but camping nonetheless.

3 Comments:

At 2:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

To hell with your secret camping spots, where did you get all those female companions from? DAMN!!

 
At 10:24 PM, Blogger Ted's Blog said...

I'd tell you, but you're anonymous!

 
At 4:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ted,
I can't believe there are two Teds out here promoting camping. Great blog. Please check out my blog. I just got it started. You will find it at, http://www.tedscampsite.com/

good tips too

 

Post a Comment

<< Home